The main function of the rib cage is to protect all the organs lying beneath it. These organs include the heart, spleen, pancreas, lungs, stomach, and kidneys. Any injury, inflammation, or infection in these organs can lead to lower rib cage pain. Depending on the cause of this pain, you need to go through a proper treatment to get better. For this, it is advisable to consult a healthcare professional as soon as you experience such pain in the rib cage. Along with proper medications, here is a list of things to keep in mind for the lower rib cage pain treatment.
- Follow a healthy diet – Maintaining a healthy diet is required to deal with rib cage pain. Well, not only what you are eating or having in your diet, but also how you are eating your food is important. Eating too fast or overeating can cause various digestion issues. Make fruits, vegetables, and foods containing more fiber a part of your diet. Fatty foods, fizzy drinks, sweets etc. can clog the system. Hence, it is advisable to avoid these when you are suffering from a lower rib cage pain.
- Take Vitamin D supplements – According to various medical studies, a deficiency in vitamin D can lead to different chronic diseases. Various vitamin supplements are now available in the market. Also, spending around 15 minutes in the sunlight every day without using any sunscreen can be effective. It is also advisable to include oily fish in your diet as it provides you omega-3 fatty acids.
- Drink sufficient water – The more water you drink, the better it is for your health. It will help in flushing the toxins from the body along with boosting metabolism. Hence, drinking at least eight glasses of water a day (approximately) is recommended as it will keep you fit and healthy.
- Include ginger and curcumin in your diet – Ginger has antibacterial and antiviral qualities. Also, it helps in boosting your metabolism. You can make the ginger tea with lemon juice and honey in it and have this tea between the meals. It will not only keep you fit but will help to protect you against various seasonal infections. Turmeric is the source of curcumin, which is a natural antioxidant and has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral qualities. Including curcumin in your diet is also essential.
- Use herbs – Using different herbs like cat’s claw, arnica, and willow bark on a daily basis helps to boost metabolism.
Usually, the lower rib cage pain that is not related to the digestive system requires medical attention. Hence, consulting the doctor first would be the best choice, in case you are suffering from it, to get the right treatment at the right time.